Friday 4 January 2013

서울 Seoul x Day two

Winter Wonderland trip 2012 // 

DAY TWO
Drinking Seolleongtang • Gangnam/Jamsil Shopping • Street food snacking • Itaewon street 


On the Second day , we woke up and headed out for lunch on our own . I had my own itinerary drawn out and we wanted to go with porridge to start our day but we lost our way and ended up in a random restaurant . Coincidentally it was one of the best place to try Korean's famous ox bones soup (Seolleongtang 설렁탕) , so we took the chance ! The chilly weather wasn't meant for tourist to get lost anyway , just 5 minutes into getting lost we gave up . We also ordered a seafood pancake ( Haemul Pajeon 해물파전 ) to share  and they were too generous with their ingredients , every bite was filled with seafood. What else can beat drinking hot piping soup on a cold winter morning of -2°C ?


Explored the Gangnam / Jamsil's underground shopping area till evening time . The hours in the day during winter are very short so usually at 5pm , the sky would already be completely dark . We passed by a stretch of street food stalls and I finally , finally got to try it . After watching so many episodes of Running man and salivating over the street food missions and all , it was totally a dream come true . 
The must eat list (according to Sheryl) The infamous Korean Rice cake  (Tteokbokki 떡볶이) , my favorite Sushi roll (Gimbap 김밥) , Deep fried Snacks (Twigim 튀김) , French Fry Hot Dog , Blood Sausages (Sundae 순대) , Fried Fishcake (Ohmuk (어묵) .

Just try everything if you're there because I did . AND.EVERYTHING.WAS.SO.TASTY.
Bryan didn't like the Blood sausage though , but I thought every snack had a unique taste to it . Nothing like I tried before , except the Fishcakes which tasted like the usual fishcake . 


In case you're wondering why my trip is all about food it is because we were not exactly eating proper meals because we were constantly snacking . Also in Winter , there was nothing much to shop and it was too cold to stay outdoors for long , so that is all why we ended up constantly seeking refuge in restaurants . 

Next , Intestines meal . I preferred the cow's intestines because the piggy's intestine had an unbearable stench . But frankly , the grilled intestines were so dope . Later into the trip , we went to eat intestines on our own again at a random restaurant and it was not as nice as this day's .  


" Let me bring you guys to the best tarts in Seoul . It is very good ! " Quoted by our friend  - Of course I was delighted , desserts are my absolute favorite ! Our friends were major foodies like us , and the common thing in us ? We will never settle for mediocre food so I knew I was in for a good treat , almost every dinner in Seoul . So anyway , *drumroll* ...
Tartine bakery won my heart over completely . Best tarts I've ever tried in my life and a pity Singapore doesn't have any of these similar tarts . 


And for the rest of the night , we bar hopped around vibrant Itaewon , and got accustomized to Korea's heavy drinking culture . The booze we paid in Seoul was lesser than half of the price we pay in Singapore . To top it off with excellent service & the extremely cozy ambiance , this is also one of the many reasons why I was reluctant to leave this country's beautiful culture .


& Because Itaewon is a foreigner district in Seoul , I had my first taste of Moroccan sandwich at the truck stall . Although not photogenic enough to look appetizing , you can already guess my verdict for this sandwich . For 3,000₩ ( approx SGD $3) , this is definitely a cheap and satisfying supper ( sinful too ) . The glutton four of us ordered a pot of mussels and more soju to complete the supper . 
When on holiday - don't think , just eat ( I mean , overeat ) . 

love,
sheryl

0 comments: