Thursday 3 January 2013

서울 Seoul x Day one

Winter Wonderland trip 2012 //

DAY ONE
Flight delayed • First snow experience • Seafood feast • Eating Sannakji • 


Our flight got delayed from 1.30am till 5am which was supposedly normal for a winter holiday , according to Bryan . 
So we had the longest supper of 4 hours at Swensens trying to fight fatigue and boredom . 


Excited face after a long 6 hours flight with no sleep for more than 24 hours . 
Pretty impressed with myself for not looking sleepy and tired when I actually am . 


Checked into our hotel , Best Western Premier and I loved the place and its convenience ! 
The room was really spacious and clean albeit the small toilet . 


We were welcomed to Seoul with a sub zero temperature and the fascinating " smoke breath " whenever we opened our mouth .  Throughout our trip , the warmest was maybe a 0-2°C ? It snowed heavily right after we checked in so we decided to beat the freezing temperature and headed out to walk under snow . 


Our friends in Korea picked us up and brought us out for a shells dinner ! Their seafood came in all sorts that I've never seen before but most importantly , really fresh . Just look at the big juicy clams ! I love seafood and this is just pure heaven . Now you know , Korea is not just all about Kimchi and Bimbimbap . I was so thankful for being able to eat around like a local this trip instead of dining at all the touristy areas . Although this was just my first meal in Seoul , I thought maybe this meal would be the highlight of my entire trip because it was just so indescribably good but I was so wrong ... every meal I had in Korea was a real gem . 


No intensive shopping or touring around because we were still dealing with serious fatigue . Was literally freezing to the bones while strolling around so we were brought to a really nice restaurant to chill the rest of the night away . That was also where we tried live octopus (Sannakji 산낙지 for the very first time . It is mandatory to take a video of the live octopus so we did . It wasn't too hard for me to try because I love raw food , I love Sashimi so live octopus was not an issue at all . Our friends also ordered this sea slug looking thing for us to try and just one bite into it , it was as if we tasted the ocean . Really fresh but too salty so we didn't really like it . We couldn't finish the generous portions given , so I just kept poking the octopus and was still as amazed each time they wriggle on the plate . I made them dance in my sesame oil as well ! We were lucky to grab a good seat and be accompanied with such a beautiful night view of Seoul overlooking the highways and Han river . 

Here's all to beautiful day 1 in Korea . 

love,
Sheryl

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI,

are you able to share with me on the name of the place or maybe the location for the seafood dinner? my email is melina.zhen@hotmail.com