Wednesday 18 April 2012

♥ 香港 DAYone xx

April starts with HongKong ; 

The airport express train which was so comfy and fast .
I was quite reluctant to get off at my stop .

Checking in to the hotel ;
4/F Block B , Wah Mei Building , 211 Portland Street , Mongkok , Kowloon , Hongkong

I've been looking for reviews on Sun Hotel , but to no avail . In fact , everyone online is asking for reviews and pictures on this hotel . The hotels in Hongkong are not exactly cheap at all but Sun Hotel's prices are quite reasonable . Since I went ahead to risk and book this hotel , shall share my experience there in details to clear everyone's doubts .

Pros -
1)  In the heartland of Kowloon . It is situated only a street away from Mongkok MTR . ( walking distance to all the major shopping spots )
I must say it is really convenient especially Hongkong's taxi rates are so expensive and most tourists would take the train . So staying near a MTR is a must .

2) There is Free WIFI in the room
so you can bring your laptops / Ipad . 

3) There is a desktop in the room . ( Apparently they stated that it is available in every room ) + internet access .
Was quite awesome since we could watch movies online or google anything .

4) The room looks exactly like the pictures shown online .
( which looks exactly like the pictures I took )

Cons -
1) Portland street is a district for sleazy KTV & pubs . ( There is one right below our hotel )
This is not really a con to me because when I reached the street , it felt safe . The surrounding is not really a big deal to me .

2) The pictures I took of the room may be exactly the same as the one shown on the internet . That is because you did not walk into the room to see it yourself . The wallpaper was peeling ( which was fine , I'll just pretend not to see it ) the toilet curtain was stained . ( I cannot pretend I did not see )

3) Room is small .
Everyone tells me that Hongkong's hotel rooms are all small . So I came prepared that the room would be small . But their layout is such that I could only open up my luggage on my bed instead of the floor . which is troublesome.

4) Toilet's heater is faulty .
I dont know if I'm unlucky or what , but initially for the first 10secs , it was hot water . Then , it was icy cold water . ICY COLD .

5) They do not allow the guests to hold their room keys .
You have to ask them to open your room door for you . Initially it sounded quite new to us , but it was not exactly very inconvenient unless you close the door and immediately you remember you forgot something . And speaking about safety , I was not worried at all if anything got stolen .

I cant remember if I missed out anything else , but the conclusion is we initially booked for 4 nights but we moved out immediately after the first night . The main reason is because I cannot bathe in icy cold water .

Thankfully for their desktop & the Ipad , we managed to find another hotel in no time . And the best part is , weeks before the Hongkong trip , every hotel's price was hiked up to 150$/night on the average . But when we were surfing for it the night before we check in , all the same hotels I was looking at previously were only 100$/night . -.-

Dinner ;

虾子捞面
These wonton noodles are nothing like Singapore's . Frankly , I never had a liking for wonton noodles . 
In Hongkong , their chewy noodles come in a really small portion which was good ( for me ) because I could try other dishes and would not feel too bloated from over ordering . And if you are hungry , two portions should be just nice . Their Prawn roe noodles was one of the highly raved dishes and yes , I love . 

Mak Man Kee Noodle Shop 麥文記麵家
G/F 51 Parkes Street 
Jordan , Kowloon 
Tel : (+852) 2736-5561
Open daily 12pm to 12.30am

Signature : Steam milk in two films
Dessert at a well known dessert place . We happen to walk past so we decided to give it a try . While I'm blogging about this , I'm salivating , wondering when is the next time I'll be able to eat this dessert again . 

Yee Shun Dairy Company 義順牛奶公司
63 Pilkem St , Jordan

Cheap yummy cold noodles @  approx. S$1.30
their one sized Gong Cha at Hongkong . This huge cup for only S$2.20 -.-
In Singapore , we pay for a small cup at close to $3 

Supper along the streets near our hotel ; 

Chives Dumpling on a stick & the boyfriend's favourite Enoki Mushroom in Bacon 

Thats all for Day One because we arrived Hong Kong only in the late afternoon and I was strolling around in the airport , wasting time looking for Prepaid 3G sim card & buying MTR cards . By the time we took our time to the hotel , it was time for an early dinner . Took a walk at their famous Temple Street after dinner and the entire street was still bustling with people at 12am . The night life is beyond amazing in Hong Kong .


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I
provide credit and sources back to your webpage?

My website is in the very same niche as yours and my users would genuinely benefit from some of the information you present here.

Please let me know if this ok with you. Appreciate it!


Also visit my site: last minute accommodation deals
my webpage :: cheap room rates

Sheryl Bella said...

Hello , sure go ahead to take the feed back from my post . I assume its on sun hotel , people néed to know these concerns before booking the hotel . Thank you for being so Kind !